DO AN HONEST SELF-EVALUATION.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses. Use this information to develop a strategy (i.e., students with difficulty concentrating should not schedule classes back to back and should not schedule classes that are three (3) hours long.)
- Take classes at the time of day when most alert.
MANAGE TIME WISELY.
- Expect to spend 10 hours per three (3) credit hours each week studying and preparing for class. Remember success is largely dependent on effort.
- Use a calendar to keep track of classes, tests, and due dates.
- Get to class early in order to find a seat where he/she is most comfortable.
- Have necessary materials – paper, pens, text book, highlighter, etc..
- Preview the material to be covered in class.
- Review each class lecture at the end of the day.
- Study frequently, in short periods of time, versus cramming.
- Do not work if at all possible.
- Use a tape recorder or note taker (if it is an accommodation or approved by faculty member) to help “fill in the blanks” of class lectures.
TAKE CARE OF ONESELF.
- Eat nutritious, balanced, and regular meals.
- Get enough sleep.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- Keep in touch with support people.
- Know and obey the law related to alcohol and drugs.
- Practice safe sex.
- Exercise when possible.
- Be aware of surroundings at all times
ALLOW TIME FOR FUN!
Like a battery, the body needs to recharge. Once it does, the ability to function improves.